Sister Agnes Alma
Sister Mary Vincent
Sister Thomas Aquinas
Oral History Project
Digital Document Collection
Dominican Heritage Lecture Series
Dominican Sisters Heritage Room Tour
Dominican Sisters of Newburgh Archives
Founders of Mount Saint Mary College
Print Image Agreement
Oral History Release Form
Internet Image Agreement
Dr. Irene Nunnari
Dr. James F. Cotter
, and Associate Professor Emeritus
recalling the early 60s.
Part 1: Introduction of members on Panel and Early History of
Mount Saint Mary College
(00:00 to 10:19)
- Brief comments on how the faculty on the panel were recruited for MSMC.
- Recall of early years when college began in the Villa.
- Review of first resident students.
- Highlights of early growth of enrollment including first male students.
- Summary of beginnings of Cultural Center.
- Observations on building expansion.
- Recognition of successful Middle States accreditation visit.
- Success of college's theatrical productions.
Part 2: Influence of Dominican Sisters of Newburgh on
developing the college
(10:20 to 26:23)
- Role of Dominican Sisters as teachers and administrators - they wore many hats.
- Recognition of Mother Leo Vincent, a.k.a. Sister Kathleen Short, as first college president.
- Influence of Dr. Roland Whittaker.
- Reference of additions to physical plant.
- Coverage of college from local newspaper (Times Herald Record).
- Fund raising efforts and success for building Aquinas Hall.
- More information on how the three faculty members were recruited.
- Specific names of Dominican Sisters and their roles in the college.
- Sisters recruited from the many high schools where the Dominican Sisters of Newburgh taught.
Mount Saint Mary College | 330 Powell Ave. Newburgh, NY 12550 | 845-561-0800 |
Main Library Homepage